Vegan Cuban Black Beans And Rice Recipe
Nothing says Cuban food like black beans and rice done right. This vegan black beans & rice recipe keeps true to its authentic Cuban roots and makes for a delicious meal or side dish.
If you’re looking for comfort food or just a traditional cuban meal, this is it!
Black Beans & Rice Ingredients:
2 cans drained and rinsed black beans (or you can use 1 cup dried black beans and make it the traditional way!)
1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice (long grain is more traditional)
1 1/2 cup water
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
3 stalks celery, trimmed and diced
1 large onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
5 cloves fresh garlic, smashed and minced
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced or grated finely
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp hot pepper (you can use chipotle, cayenne, jalapeno, whatever you have for a little spice)
Bean Sauce Ingredients:
1 cup water
1 bay leaf
1 vegetable bouillon cube
1 Tbsp Braggs liquid aminos or soy sauce
1 Tbsp tomato paste
Himalayan Sea Salt to taste
6 Tbsp fresh minced cilantro for garnish
1 lime sliced in wedges, to serve with the rice & beans
Bean Cooking Directions (From Scratch):
- Stovetop: Soak the dried beans for 6 – 8 hours in cold water. Drain the beans, add cold water to cover them, bring to a boil, skim off the foam on top, cover the beans and let simmer 2 hours until just tender. Most people undercook their beans the first time so make sure to cook them long enough!
- Slow Cooker: After boiling & skimming, drain beans and add to cooker with cold water to cover. Cover and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours, just until tender
- Pressure Cooker: Skip the soaking and pre-boiling. Add rinsed beans to pressure cooker with cold water about 2 inches above the beans. Lock the pressure cooker, bring up to high pressure, reduce heat to low and cook for 9 minutes. Remove from heat and run the cooker under cold water to reduce pressure quickly.
Bean Sauce Directions:
- Drain the beans, reserving the cooking liquid
- Add the beans, 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid, bay leaf, bouillon cube, Braggs or soy sauce, tomato paste, and salt to taste.
- If you’re using canned beans, drain the beans and rinse them, but reserve the liquid!
- Simmer the bean sauce while you prep the veggies and parboil the rice
Brown Rice Cooking Directions:
- Wash and rinse the rice twice, draining well
- Add to 2 qt saucepan with 2 1/4 cups cold water
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes
- Remove brown rice from heat and set aside. It should be chewy, and all water absorbed at this point
Cuban Rice & Black Beans Directions:
While the bean sauce is simmering and the rice is cooking:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat 1 Tbsp cooking oil on medium low in a dutch oven or sauté pan (oven proof) on top of the stove
- Chop the garlic, onion, ginger, pepper & celery
- Stir fry the veggies until the onion is translucent
- Add the spices and oregano and stir for 2 more minutes
- Add the brown rice and mix with the veg
- Stir the beans and sauce into the rice and veg
- Cover, transfer to the preheated oven, and bake for 30 minutes
- Serve immediately, garnished with chopped cilantro and lime wedges
This black bean recipe was adapted from the Savvy Vegetarian Recipe.
Thanks to Favela Cubana for the inspiration for this recipe and for their delicious Cuban Food.